Hold all by-elections at once every year: AP Guv
Hyderabad: Observing that frequent bypolls in many parts of the country hampered development, Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan on Wednesday holding all the bye-elections at once every year.
Conducting all by-elections in the country at one go during the year would ensure that the process of development continued unhindered, he said, addressing a function organised on the occasion of the National Voters` Day.
Stressing the importance of every citizen exercising his franchise, he appealed to all to vote without fail in the elections so as to put an end to several malaises like
criminalisation of politics.
Noting that a whole of identity cards existed today for various purposes, Narasimhan favoured integrating all such documents into one to make things simple.
He appreciated the work of Government personnel in preparing electoral rolls with 100 percent photo coverage after verifying the residential addresses.
The Governor launched a service on the state Chief Electoral Officer`s website for the citizens to know the polling station locations.
He distributed certificates to government officials who achieved excellence in preparing the electoral rolls. He also gave away prizes to children who won competitions conducted on the occasion of the Voters` Day.
The Day is observed to commemorate the foundation day of the Election Commission of India. The aim is to increase enrollment, especially newly eligible ones, by using the occasion to make universal adult enrollment a reality.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’