Hold all by-elections at once every year: AP Guv
Hyderabad: Observing that frequent bypolls in many parts of the country hampered development, Andhra Pradesh Governor ESL Narasimhan on Wednesday holding all the bye-elections at once every year.
Conducting all by-elections in the country at one go during the year would ensure that the process of development continued unhindered, he said, addressing a function organised on the occasion of the National Voters` Day.
Stressing the importance of every citizen exercising his franchise, he appealed to all to vote without fail in the elections so as to put an end to several malaises like
criminalisation of politics.
Noting that a whole of identity cards existed today for various purposes, Narasimhan favoured integrating all such documents into one to make things simple.
He appreciated the work of Government personnel in preparing electoral rolls with 100 percent photo coverage after verifying the residential addresses.
The Governor launched a service on the state Chief Electoral Officer`s website for the citizens to know the polling station locations.
He distributed certificates to government officials who achieved excellence in preparing the electoral rolls. He also gave away prizes to children who won competitions conducted on the occasion of the Voters` Day.
The Day is observed to commemorate the foundation day of the Election Commission of India. The aim is to increase enrollment, especially newly eligible ones, by using the occasion to make universal adult enrollment a reality.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India