HPCL fire: Four more dead, toll rises to 18
Visakhapatnam: The death toll in Friday`s fire at the Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd`s refinery complex here rose to 18 with four more workers succumbing to their injuries on Thursday.
Executive Director of HPCL`s Vizag refinery VVR Narasimham said that M Malakondaiah (46) and Manmadha Reddy (46), who were undergoing treatment at Manipal Hospital, Ramana (40) at Old Care Hospital and YV Satya Rao (27) who was being treated at New Care Hospital, all of them were engaged by the private contractors, died today.
However, eight injured workers, who had been flown to Mumbai, were responding well to the treatment, he added.
A massive fire broke out on Friday evening at the sprawling HPCL complex when workers engaged by private contractors were inside. Of the 18 persons killed, only one -- Ch Murali, in-charge of the cooling tower -- was an HPCL employee.
Another 18 injured persons are undergoing treatment at various hospitals in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa