HPCL fire: Four more dead, toll rises to 18
Visakhapatnam: The death toll in Friday`s fire at the Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd`s refinery complex here rose to 18 with four more workers succumbing to their injuries on Thursday.
Executive Director of HPCL`s Vizag refinery VVR Narasimham said that M Malakondaiah (46) and Manmadha Reddy (46), who were undergoing treatment at Manipal Hospital, Ramana (40) at Old Care Hospital and YV Satya Rao (27) who was being treated at New Care Hospital, all of them were engaged by the private contractors, died today.
However, eight injured workers, who had been flown to Mumbai, were responding well to the treatment, he added.
A massive fire broke out on Friday evening at the sprawling HPCL complex when workers engaged by private contractors were inside. Of the 18 persons killed, only one -- Ch Murali, in-charge of the cooling tower -- was an HPCL employee.
Another 18 injured persons are undergoing treatment at various hospitals in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men