Huge fire in Hyderabad cracker shop

A huge fire broke out in a firecracker shop early Monday, damaging the three-storey building and triggering panic. No casualties were reported.

Hyderabad: A huge fire broke out in a firecracker shop here early Monday, damaging the three-storey building and triggering panic. No casualties were reported.

Police said the fire was put off after five fire tenders battled the blaze for several hours. A short circuit is believed to have caused the fire.

The fire broke out in Mahabubgunj in the busy Malakpet area around 1 a.m., triggering a series of blasts.

Thick clouds of smoke engulfed the area while flames leapt out with every blast. The fire fighters had a tough time controlling the flames due to the blasts.

The incident ahead of Deepavali exposes the negligence of authorities because storing and selling of firecrackers in a residential area is prohibited. The owner of Bhavani Fireworks had stored a large quantity of firecrackers in the building for the upcoming festival.

Local legislator Ahmed Bilala of the Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) blamed the authorities for the accident. He said it could have caused a major tragedy.
Residents of the area pointed out that while Mahabubgunj had vegetable and grain shops, the firecracker shop was allowed to run in violation of the rules.

Police said a case had been registered against the shop owner.

In 2007, four child workers were killed in an illegal firecracker manufacturing unit at Goshamahal in Hyderabad.
The city also witnessed a major fire in a firecracker shop in Siddiamber Bazar in 2002, killing six people.

IANS

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close