Huge haul of explosives in Hyderabad, two held
Hyderabad: A huge quantity of explosives was seized here Sunday and two people transporting it arrested, police said.
Police said 1,300 gelatin sticks and 2,825 detonators were seized from a car which was intercepted at Nagarjuna Circle in the heart of the city.
M. Madhusudhan Reddy and G. Ramesh, residents of Nalgonda and Mahabubnagar districts, respectively, were arrested for illegal sale, transportation and possession of explosives.
Police said though Madhusudhan Reddy had obtained licence for purchase of explosives to blast rocks at the sites where he was working on contract basis, he was illegally selling the gelatin sticks and detonators. Ramesh was helping him in purchase and sale of explosives.
"The accused has violated his licence conditions and transported the huge quantity of explosive material endangering the lives and property of many people enroute. The slight impact/pressure or electrical impulse may cause a huge explosion on the road," a statement by police said.
Police were probing the supply of explosive material to various persons as there was possibility of explosives going into the hands of anti-social elements.
Police will also write to the chief controller of explosives, Nagapur to cancel Madhusudhan Reddy`s licence for violating the conditions of the licence.
As per the Explosive Substances Act, punishment for making or possessing or transporting explosive substances is punishable with a term which may extend to 14 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre