Huge scope for exporting weapon system: DRDO chief
Hyderabad: The weapon system and defence technology developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation are competitive and there is huge scope for exporting them, DRDO chief VK Saraswat has said.
"Our technology and the weapon system are competitive. There is tremendous export potential ...But we have to first make sure we have real output in terms of numbers and quality," Saraswat told reporters on the sidelines of a function here last night.
"Once that happens and once we are satisfied... I think in few years from now India would be in a position to export systems to friendly countries," Saraswat, who is also Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister said, adding, however exports policy will be restrictive and in areas of country`s interest.
Noting that there was demand from other nations for Aakash missiles, Saraswat said, "Since our production capacity today is limited, we have to first meet the requirement of our own armed forces. We are now trying to harness efforts of other industries to meet production requirement."
Saraswat also said that "the impact of Agni-V launch has given us confidence... We are not dependent on any nation as far as missile technology is concerned. There was a time when missile technology controlled regimes throttled our progress. But today we are in a position to not only manufacture for ourselves but ready to go from being a purchaser to exporter".
Emphasising the need for participation by the industry, he said, "Industry is going to participate... If this country has to be self-reliant (in defence equipment) it has to be through development and research work not only in DRDO, but in the industry sector."
"We need to augment our development capability in industrial sector by converting our partner component manufacturers into sub-system developer and the Indian (defence) industry should grow up to take the challenge," he said.
On a question,, Saraswat said the Tatra issue was an aberration and "we should not take (read) too much" out of it.
Saraswat also said he was looking forward to the
industries getting a status of system developer/ manufacturer.
He said the controlled navigation flight trial of Long-Range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) would be conducted in June which will be followed by a series of flight tests to prove complete efficacy of the system.
"By 2013 you will see LR-SAM completing its flight trial and it is expected to be inducted in 2014," Saraswat said, adding the Medium Range surface-to-air missile (MR-SAM) was also getting ready, being in advanced stage of development and is likely to get into service by 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India