Hyd: Junior doctors intensify stir over security
Hyderabad: Thousands of junior doctors at the government hospitals here continued to boycott their duties for the third day on Monday, severely affecting the medical services.
The medicos, under the banner of Telangana Junior Doctors Association (TJDA), are striking work to protest against the government’s decision to withdraw the Special Protection Force -- meant to protect doctors from violence by patients` kin – from the hospitals.
They are demanding that the force be re-deployed immediately and are pressing for the setting up of a committee to look into the issue of security of the staff in other teaching hospitals in the state too.
The protests have been on since the last two weeks but got intensified since Saturday night after the doctors refused to attend emergency duties. Medical services stand crippled at Osmania, Gandhi, Niloufer and Government maternity hospitals at Pitlaburz and Sultan Bazar, and at MGM Warangal hospital.
The striking doctors faced flak after the death of nine infants at Niloufer Hospital, allegedly due to lack of care. But the protestors are claiming that the deaths had nothing to do with the strike and that even in the normal course such deaths occur daily because infants are brought from various parts of the state in critical stages.
The doctors also gheraoed the Director of Medical Education (DME), T Raviraj, after he, allegedly, refused to meet them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015