Hyderabad: 1 dead, 5 hurt while escaping from gas cylinder explosion
Hyderabad: At least one person was killed and five others injured after a group of panic-stricken persons fell off a temple wall while they were witnessing a gas cylinder explosion and the resultant fire at Nimboliadda area here tonight, police said.
According to Kachiguda police, there was an explosion and the resultant fire spread to adjoining houses when gas was being filled into small cylinders from big ones at an "illegal" gas filling station at around 8.30 P.M. Even as a large number of people, along with Telangana BJP president and local MLA G Kishan Reddy, gathered at the site.
"A group of people had climbed a nearby temple wall to watch the fire when there was a subsequent explosion. The panicked onlookers suddenly jumped from the wall to escape and one of them sustained injuries to his head after hitting a small rock on the ground," Assistant Commissioner of Police (Kachiguda Divison) J Ranjan Rathan Kumar told PTI.
While six persons were rushed to a nearby hospital with injuries, the one who suffered head injuries died, he said, adding that no one has suffered burn injuries.
However, the fire spread to some adjoining houses which were gutted although the people inside could be evacuated to safety and the fire is now extinguished, the officer added.
Telangana Deputy Chief Minister Mohammed Mahamood Ali and Finance Minister Etela Rajender were among those who visited the area.
"The incident happened while gas was being filled illegally into smaller cylinders. I have directed senior police officers to check such centres. Stern action will be initiated against all those running such illegal gas filling stations," Mahamood Ali said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'