Hyderabad as union territory unacceptable: Telangana JAC
Hyderabad: Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which is spearheading the movement for a separate Telangana state, Wednesday said it would not accept union territory status to Hyderabad.
JAC convenor M. Kodandaram told reporters that nothing short of a Telangana state with Hyderabad as its capital would be accepted.
He also assured that after the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, people from Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra regions) living in Hyderabad will continue to enjoy constitutional rights.
With Congress Working Committee (CWC) is likely to meet by the month-end to take a final decision on the Telangana issue, a section of party leaders from Seemandhra are demanding the leadership to make Hyderabad a union territory or joint capital, if the state`s division becomes inevitable.
State Congress chief Botsa Satyanayana, in his presentation to the Congress Core Committee last week, reportedly suggested that Hyderabad be made a union territory for 25 years on the lines of special administrative regions of China like Hong Kong and Macau.
Satyanarayana, who hails from the Andhra region, referred to the concerns of Seemandhra people settled in Hyderabad and the apprehensions of the entrepreneurs from these regions.
Meanwhile, Congress legislator from Nellore district Anam Vivekananda Reddy said Telangana and Hyderabad were developed by chief ministers from Seemandhra. He said the city and the region did not develop during the rule of chief ministers from Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Had I stayed with AB de Villiers a little longer, it would have been different: Virat Kohli
- IPL 2016: Individual awards for outstanding players
- IPL 2016 final: It was a total team effort, says SRH's captain David Warner
- MNS to file FIR against AIB comedian Tanmay Bhat’s video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar today
- Islamic State selling sex slaves on Facebook for $8,000