Hyderabad as union territory unacceptable: Telangana JAC
Hyderabad: Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which is spearheading the movement for a separate Telangana state, Wednesday said it would not accept union territory status to Hyderabad.
JAC convenor M. Kodandaram told reporters that nothing short of a Telangana state with Hyderabad as its capital would be accepted.
He also assured that after the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, people from Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra regions) living in Hyderabad will continue to enjoy constitutional rights.
With Congress Working Committee (CWC) is likely to meet by the month-end to take a final decision on the Telangana issue, a section of party leaders from Seemandhra are demanding the leadership to make Hyderabad a union territory or joint capital, if the state`s division becomes inevitable.
State Congress chief Botsa Satyanayana, in his presentation to the Congress Core Committee last week, reportedly suggested that Hyderabad be made a union territory for 25 years on the lines of special administrative regions of China like Hong Kong and Macau.
Satyanarayana, who hails from the Andhra region, referred to the concerns of Seemandhra people settled in Hyderabad and the apprehensions of the entrepreneurs from these regions.
Meanwhile, Congress legislator from Nellore district Anam Vivekananda Reddy said Telangana and Hyderabad were developed by chief ministers from Seemandhra. He said the city and the region did not develop during the rule of chief ministers from Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video