Hyderabad as union territory unacceptable: Telangana JAC
Hyderabad: Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC), which is spearheading the movement for a separate Telangana state, Wednesday said it would not accept union territory status to Hyderabad.
JAC convenor M. Kodandaram told reporters that nothing short of a Telangana state with Hyderabad as its capital would be accepted.
He also assured that after the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, people from Seemandhra (Rayalaseema and Andhra regions) living in Hyderabad will continue to enjoy constitutional rights.
With Congress Working Committee (CWC) is likely to meet by the month-end to take a final decision on the Telangana issue, a section of party leaders from Seemandhra are demanding the leadership to make Hyderabad a union territory or joint capital, if the state`s division becomes inevitable.
State Congress chief Botsa Satyanayana, in his presentation to the Congress Core Committee last week, reportedly suggested that Hyderabad be made a union territory for 25 years on the lines of special administrative regions of China like Hong Kong and Macau.
Satyanarayana, who hails from the Andhra region, referred to the concerns of Seemandhra people settled in Hyderabad and the apprehensions of the entrepreneurs from these regions.
Meanwhile, Congress legislator from Nellore district Anam Vivekananda Reddy said Telangana and Hyderabad were developed by chief ministers from Seemandhra. He said the city and the region did not develop during the rule of chief ministers from Telangana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in