Hyderabad court tells police to probe complaint against Chiranjeevi
Hyderabad: A local court on Thursday directed
the police to investigate a private complaint which alleged
Praja Rajyam Party (PRP) chief K Chiranjeevi and 11 leaders of
his party of "cheating" Telangana people by allegedly making a
u-turn on the separate statehood issue.
After hearing the matter, the XVII Additional Chief
Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) court referred the complaint to
SHO of Jubilee Hills police station for investigation and
asked them to file a report before it by June 15.
The petitioners, Akula Srinivas (a former PRP leader)
and Baddam Narasimha Reddy, said that the PRP leaders had
extended support to the cause of separate Telangana in 2009
during campaigning for the Assembly elections.
PRP had also reiterated its support for the cause
during the all-party meeting convened by the then chief
minister K Rosaiah on December 7, 2009, they said.
"However, Chiranjeevi and others backtracked after the
Centre`s statement over Telangana on December 9 and instead
supported United Andhra Pradesh. Due to their acts and
statements, youths and students from Telangana region became
desperate and committed suicides..... besides Telangana people
were cheated," the petitioners alleged adding that the
u-turn on part of the PRP leaders resulted in promotion of
enmity between people of three different regions of Andhra
The complainant sought for registration of a case
under Section 415 (cheating), Section 153A (promoting enmity
between different groups), Section 306 (abatement to suicide)
and other sections of IPC.
The petitioners` counsel Syed Latifuddin told
reporters that following the court order the Jubilee Hills
police will have to register an FIR against Chiranjeevi and 11
other PRP leaders.
The actor-turned-politician recently announced merger
of his party with Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened