Hyderabad fish medicine mela stampede kills one
Hyderabad: One person died and over 25 others including women were injured in a "stampede" as thousands of people rushed for fish `prasadam` (fish medicine for asthma patients) at the annual distribution at Katedan stadium here, officials said.
The incident allegedly occurred at around 0930 hrs after huge crowds rushed to get the medicine when the gates were opened at the distribution site, they said.
One Gorakh Patel (believed to be in his 60s and also suffering from a heart ailment) fell down during the "stampede" and was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital but died on the way, they said, adding that at least 25 persons including women were treated for minor injuries.
Over two lakh persons from different parts of the country were already administered the medicine at the event, which is organised by the Bathini Mrigasira Trust that provides the free medicine claimed to cure asthma, an official said.
"Additional counters have been opened and things are now put in order with queue being maintained," the official said.
However, several persons complained that no proper arrangements were made at the distribution site.
The distribution that began this morning would go on non-stop for 48 hours even as district authorities had arranged for 60,000 fingerlings for the event.
The venue of the fish `prasadam` event was organised at Nampally exhibition grounds every year, but was shifted to Katedan this year.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened