Hyderabad fish medicine mela stampede kills one
Hyderabad: One person died and over 25 others including women were injured in a "stampede" as thousands of people rushed for fish `prasadam` (fish medicine for asthma patients) at the annual distribution at Katedan stadium here, officials said.
The incident allegedly occurred at around 0930 hrs after huge crowds rushed to get the medicine when the gates were opened at the distribution site, they said.
One Gorakh Patel (believed to be in his 60s and also suffering from a heart ailment) fell down during the "stampede" and was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital but died on the way, they said, adding that at least 25 persons including women were treated for minor injuries.
Over two lakh persons from different parts of the country were already administered the medicine at the event, which is organised by the Bathini Mrigasira Trust that provides the free medicine claimed to cure asthma, an official said.
"Additional counters have been opened and things are now put in order with queue being maintained," the official said.
However, several persons complained that no proper arrangements were made at the distribution site.
The distribution that began this morning would go on non-stop for 48 hours even as district authorities had arranged for 60,000 fingerlings for the event.
The venue of the fish `prasadam` event was organised at Nampally exhibition grounds every year, but was shifted to Katedan this year.
With PTI Input
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- South Korean navy fires warning shots after North incursion
- Trump lays claim to Republican presidential nomination
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal