Hyderabad hostage drama: Constable apologises
Hyderabad: A suspended police constable, who took a senior police official hostage here on Wednesday night, has apologised for his behaviour.
Giriprasad Sharma, a suspended head constable with the Police Transport Organisation (PTO), on Thursday called on Director General of Police Dinesh Reddy.
He told reporters that he took Superintendent of Police Lakshmi Narayana hostage to highlight his problem, corruption and other issues. He made allegations of corruption against senior officials.
He claimed the police chief promised that no case would be booked against him for taking the official hostage.
Reddy also told him that he would be transferred from PTO to state police headquarters.
The four-hour `hostage` drama ended on Wednesday night when Sharma released the official unharmed after an assurance by Reddy to study his demands.
Sharma said he was suspended by Additional Superintendent of Police Vijaykumar seven months ago without assigning any reason.
"Because of this, I have been facing serious financial problems and mental trauma. There was no other method (other) than this to bring my problem to the notice of the higher-ups," he said.
Sharma kept the police official hostage in a shop run by the constable near Birla Planetarium in the heart of the city.
He had locked the shutters from inside and threatened to kill the official and also commit suicide if police made any attempt to break in.
Senior police officials and firefighters had surrounded the shop.
The incident caused embarrassment to the top brass as the incident took place near the police headquarters.
Police whisked away Sharma after he came out along with the hostage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Have you ever encountered death? These people did and were lucky to survive it – Watch
- Badaun re-run? Teenage girl murdered after gang-rape, body hanged from tree in UP
- Teen sensation Marcus Rashford signs bumper long-term contract at Manchester United: Reports
- Mexican soccer star Alan Pulido kidnapped in border state
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair crashes out of French Open