Hyderabad hostage drama: Constable apologises
Hyderabad: A suspended police constable, who took a senior police official hostage here on Wednesday night, has apologised for his behaviour.
Giriprasad Sharma, a suspended head constable with the Police Transport Organisation (PTO), on Thursday called on Director General of Police Dinesh Reddy.
He told reporters that he took Superintendent of Police Lakshmi Narayana hostage to highlight his problem, corruption and other issues. He made allegations of corruption against senior officials.
He claimed the police chief promised that no case would be booked against him for taking the official hostage.
Reddy also told him that he would be transferred from PTO to state police headquarters.
The four-hour `hostage` drama ended on Wednesday night when Sharma released the official unharmed after an assurance by Reddy to study his demands.
Sharma said he was suspended by Additional Superintendent of Police Vijaykumar seven months ago without assigning any reason.
"Because of this, I have been facing serious financial problems and mental trauma. There was no other method (other) than this to bring my problem to the notice of the higher-ups," he said.
Sharma kept the police official hostage in a shop run by the constable near Birla Planetarium in the heart of the city.
He had locked the shutters from inside and threatened to kill the official and also commit suicide if police made any attempt to break in.
Senior police officials and firefighters had surrounded the shop.
The incident caused embarrassment to the top brass as the incident took place near the police headquarters.
Police whisked away Sharma after he came out along with the hostage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan