Hyderabad Metro Rail awards signalling contract to Thales
Hyderabad: L&T Metro Rail (Hyderabad) Limited has awarded the signalling and train control and communication system contract to Thales, a global technology leader in the defence, aerospace and transportation markets.
The signalling and train control contract has been given to Thales Canada and Thales India while the communication system contract has been awarded to Thales Portugal and Thales India.
Vivek B. Gadgil, chief executive and managing director of L&T Metro Rail, told reporters Friday that Hyderabad Metro Rail would be the first in India to run on Communication Based Train Control System (CBTC).
He said they would be employing CBTC to enhance safety and increase the frequency of train. The metro operators around the world have benefited from this technology in terms of low operating, energy and maintenance costs, optimal life cycle costs.
"The trains are controlled from the central control centre. Thus, the driver is not dependent on the line side signals. Information regarding clearance of the line and permitted speed is given in the driving cab itself," he said.
Gadgil expressed satisfaction over the progress of the work on the Rs.16,375 crore Metro rail project, described as the world`s largest Metro project under public private partnership. He, however, said it has a tight timeline and the pace of the work need to be accelerated.
The project on 72-km three high density corridors with 66 elevated Metro stations will be be operational by July 2017.
The commissioning of the first stage of the project is expected in 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year