Hyderabad Metro Rail awards signalling contract to Thales
Hyderabad: L&T Metro Rail (Hyderabad) Limited has awarded the signalling and train control and communication system contract to Thales, a global technology leader in the defence, aerospace and transportation markets.
The signalling and train control contract has been given to Thales Canada and Thales India while the communication system contract has been awarded to Thales Portugal and Thales India.
Vivek B. Gadgil, chief executive and managing director of L&T Metro Rail, told reporters Friday that Hyderabad Metro Rail would be the first in India to run on Communication Based Train Control System (CBTC).
He said they would be employing CBTC to enhance safety and increase the frequency of train. The metro operators around the world have benefited from this technology in terms of low operating, energy and maintenance costs, optimal life cycle costs.
"The trains are controlled from the central control centre. Thus, the driver is not dependent on the line side signals. Information regarding clearance of the line and permitted speed is given in the driving cab itself," he said.
Gadgil expressed satisfaction over the progress of the work on the Rs.16,375 crore Metro rail project, described as the world`s largest Metro project under public private partnership. He, however, said it has a tight timeline and the pace of the work need to be accelerated.
The project on 72-km three high density corridors with 66 elevated Metro stations will be be operational by July 2017.
The commissioning of the first stage of the project is expected in 2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!