Hyderabad on alert on eve of 4th anniversary of Mecca Masjid blast
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 19:46
  
Hyderabad: Ahead of the fourth anniversary of the Mecca Masjid bomb blast on Wednesday, the Hyderabad Police have sounded a high alert and beefed up security in the city as a precautionary measure, as there is no specific intelligence input about any possible security threat.

Security has been tightened, particularly in Old City and surrounding areas. Police personnel have intensified patrolling in these areas, they said.

"This time we don?t expect any trouble or problem as extremist Viqaruddin Ahmed alias Viqar and his associates, who killed policemen are already behind bars," a senior police officer told agency, adding that the Hyderabad Police were on high alert for the past two days.

Viqar and his associates had targeted policemen on duty on two consecutive anniversaries of the Mecca Masjid blast, allegedly killing two cops and injuring two others since December 2008.

Terror operative and founder of militant outfit Tahreek Galba-e-Islam (TGI) Viqaruddin Ahmed and his six associates were arrested in July last year and put in judicial custody.

A cell phone-triggered bomb went off at the historic Mecca Masjid during Friday prayers on May 18, 2007, killing nine people, while five protesters died in police firing after the blast.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which is now probing the blast case, yesterday filed a charge-sheet against Swami Aseemanand and named one Indresh Kumar in connection with the Mecca Masjid blast case.

The CBI, which registered a case in June 2007, has so far named six persons, all allegedly having links with a right-wing Hindu outfit. The agency filed charge-sheets against two accused, Devendra Gupta and Lokesh Sharma - presently lodged at Chanchalguda central prison -- last year.

PTI


First Published: Tuesday, May 17, 2011, 19:46


comments powered by Disqus