Hyderabad police bust exam racket, arrest 12
Hyderabad: Hyderabad police have busted a racket of tampering with answer sheets of Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) here with the arrest of 12 people Thursday.
Gang members, including students from engineering colleges in the city, were held for tampering with B.Tech examination answer sheets after taking them in their custody while transporting the bundles from various colleges to the JNTU examination branch at Kukatpally, police said.
The commissioner`s task force found that the answer sheets were handed to students who appeared in the supplementary examination. The students took home the sheets and tampered with them by correcting the answers.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Jaya Laxmi told reporters that the accused took Rs.5,000 to 10,000 per paper. They would later deposit the answer sheets back in JNTU.
Police seized nine bundles of sealed answer sheets and 68 loose sheets belonging to various colleges while being transported in a four-wheeler to students` homes.
Police caught the students red-handed while re-writing answer sheets in their homes. Police also seized Rs.65,000 from the accused.
M. Venkatesh, a book keeper in the library of Aryyabatta Engineering College at Maheshwaram, and C. Balu Mahender, a driver in the postal department, are the key accused who handed over the answer sheets through their agents to students for re-writing.
The arrested men include seven B Tech final year students. They paid money to get the answer sheets and re-wrote the answers either on their own or with the help of other students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Grand Welcome for champions: After Telangana, Andhra Pradesh government felicitates PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand
- Google rolls out Android Nougat, Nexus phones to get it first
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts