Hyderabad police busts kidney transplant racket
Hyderabad: City police on Sunday busted a kidney transplant racket by arresting two touts who allegedly connived with a government doctor to sell donors` kidneys to the needy and extracted money from them, police said.
The duo, identified as Rajendra Prasad and Venkatasrinivas used to lure people in need of money to part with their kidneys by promising them around Rs 5 lakh in return, they said.
According to Punjagutta police, the accused duo then used to take the needy to Dr Ramesh Chada, who runs a super-specialty hospital at Karkhana area here, and would remove kidneys after perforimg medical tests on them.
The accused used to pay the donors Rs 1 lakh and charge anything from Rs 15 lakh to Rs 20 lakh from the receivers for arranging kidneys, an investigating officer said.
Based on a complaint from one Yadagiri, police registered a case against the arrested accused, the doctor and two of his assistants.
They have been booked on charges of cheating and under relevant sections of the Andhra Pradesh Transplantation of Human Organs Act, police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know