Hyderabad police busts kidney transplant racket
Hyderabad: City police on Sunday busted a kidney transplant racket by arresting two touts who allegedly connived with a government doctor to sell donors` kidneys to the needy and extracted money from them, police said.
The duo, identified as Rajendra Prasad and Venkatasrinivas used to lure people in need of money to part with their kidneys by promising them around Rs 5 lakh in return, they said.
According to Punjagutta police, the accused duo then used to take the needy to Dr Ramesh Chada, who runs a super-specialty hospital at Karkhana area here, and would remove kidneys after perforimg medical tests on them.
The accused used to pay the donors Rs 1 lakh and charge anything from Rs 15 lakh to Rs 20 lakh from the receivers for arranging kidneys, an investigating officer said.
Based on a complaint from one Yadagiri, police registered a case against the arrested accused, the doctor and two of his assistants.
They have been booked on charges of cheating and under relevant sections of the Andhra Pradesh Transplantation of Human Organs Act, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened