Hyderabad police heightens security checks in crowded places
Hyderabad: A massive checking of public
and private places was being conducted today by security
personnel in various parts of the city in the aftermath of
terror attacks in Pune and Bangalore, officials said.
The massive searches, carried out for second time in a
row in the last three days, were going on at railway stations,
bus stops, main markets in Old City particularly in Begum
Police also intensified checking at cinema halls,
shopping malls, lodges, hotels and important market areas in
Anticipating that terror suspect Viqar Ahmed alias Ali
Khan, who is absconding for the past two years after allegedly
opening fire on police personnel at Saidabad and Falaknuma
here, may create disturbance again, the cops were put on alert
and kept a constant watch on movement of suspicious persons.
Security has been tightened to nab the suspects
including Viqar, ahead of the third anniversary of Mecca
Masjid bomb blasts that rocked the city on May 18, 2007,
Hyderabad City Police Commissioner A K Khan, said, "In
view of the recent incidents (bomb blasts) in Pune and
Bangalore, we are tightening the security arrangements here."
He, however, said there is no specific terror threat
"Till now we were busy with agitations and curfew
following communal riots in the city. Police have now started
anti-crime drives, which will help not only in identifying
terrorist activities but other crimes," the CP said, adding
"There is no need to panic for public."
Even as Task Force sleuths along with bomb and dog
squads undertook massive checking and frisking operations in
various localities and vehicles, the Hyderabad City Police
chief said, "We are always on alert."
Asked, if there was any specific alert by Intelligence
agencies that there could be a possible terror attack in
Hyderabad, he said there is no specific terror threat to
Khan requested the people to be on alert and asked
them to inform police if they come across any suspicious
persons and suspicious objects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray