Hyderabad Police to have Anti-Narcotics Cell
Hyderabad: After busting 17 drug racket
cases and arresting 41 persons, including 21 foreign
nationals, in the last two years, Hyderabad Police are working
towards setting up a permanent Anti-Narcotics Cell (ANC).
A proposal is being submitted to establish a permanent
Anti-Narcotics Cell in Hyderabad City Police with a staff of
47 personnel to eradicate drug peddling completely, Police
Commissioner A K Khan said today.
Police have found that some youth from African
countries, who visit Hyderabad on student visa or as tourists,
were indulging in drug peddling. They sold cocaine to
celebrities and people from elite sections of the society at
various places, including pubs, restaurants and hukkah
centres, police have said.
With intensified efforts of police as many as 7 cases
in 2010 and 10 cases so far this year were registered for drug
peddling (cocaine abuse) in Hyderabad, Khan said.
In connection with these cases, a total of 51 persons
were identified as accused and so far 41 of them, including 21
foreigners, were arrested, Khan said.
The city police chief said they were trying to find
out possible link between online fraud cases (online lottery
and job frauds) and drug trafficking as many African nationals
had been found to be involved in online frauds.
From 2009 to 2011, about 28 cases of online fraud were
registered involving foreigners, mostly African nationals,
the Police Commissioner said.
Narcotics Control Bureau, Chennai has agreed to impart
regular training on emerging drug trafficking trends and
investigation techniques to the ANC staff and to supply drug
detecting kits, Khan said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory