Hyderabad police to rope in VVS Laxman for road safety awareness
Hyderabad: Hyderabad Traffic Police is all set to rope in the services of former Indian cricketer VVS Laxman for creating awareness on traffic rules and road safety aspects among vehicle users in the city.
"He (Laxman) has agreed on this. Laxman will be featuring in short films about the road safety issues such as rash driving, signal jumping and other traffic violations and help in creating awareness among public on traffic rules," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic) PVS Ramakrishna said, addressing a workshop on RS10 project.
The traffic awareness drive involving Laxman is likely to begin within a month, the DCP said.
In the first phase of `Aap Ke Liye`, campaign aimed at promoting community awareness of traffic rules and enforcement launched by Hyderabad City Police Commissioner Anurag Sharma on April 10, the traffic police have begun distributing pamphlets explaining the safety rules people should follow.
During this year, the traffic police also seek for deployment of educational vans specially designed to campaign on road safety, besides associating with NGOs on issues related to road safety and launching short films for massive education of children, Ramakrishna said.
Traffic police officers are being trained here as a part of the global `Road Safety 2010` project (RS10) by the WHO, which is being implemented in Jalandhar and Hyderabad.
To ensure effective drunken-driving enforcement, high-tech equipment is being provided to the police.
The Hyderabad traffic police have registered 16,620 cases till April 30 this year since it launched a drive against drunken-driving in November 2011, the senior traffic official said.
Maximum cases were booked against two-wheeler riders (over 11,000) and the majority of the violators were in the age-group of 21-30 years with 7,979 cases, followed by 31-40 years group (5,563) cases, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends