Hyderabad tense as TRS activists go on rampage spree
Hyderabad: Students and Telangana Rashtra Samithi supporters on Saturday indulged in violence here and in other parts of Andhra Pradesh following rumour about the health of TRS chief K Chandrasekhar Rao, who is on indefinite fast, even as doctors attending on him termed his condition as "stable".
As TRS gave a 48-hour "Telangana bandh" call from midnight tonight to press for Telangana state, Chief Minister K Rosaiah appealed to Rao, who went on the fast last week, to end his hunger strike and help restore peace in Telangana region which witnessed violence over the statehood demand.
The students and TRS activists, who are on a warpath in support of Telangana state ever since Rao`s arrest in Karimnagar district earlier this week, stoned shopping malls and complexes, vehicles and some other establishments at Punjgutta and Ameerpet localities of Hyderabad following rumours about deterioration in the TRS chief`s health.
The police resorted to batoncharge to bring the situation under control.
Two buses were set afire by the agitators at Ameerpet.
Telengana supporters squatted on the road at NIMS hospital,
where TRS chief K Chandrasekhara Rao is undergoing treatment.
A report from Karimnagar said students demanding Telangana, set on fire a government office, attempted to attack the house of a Congress leader and organised protests and hunger strike in various parts of the district today.
The NIMS doctors, where Rao was admitted, said Rao`s
health condition was stable. "Since he was not taking food, he
is feeling weak and we are administering him saline and other
supportive medicines," they said.
TRS leader E Rajaendra said the party would enforce a
two-day bandh from midnight tonight in support of the
fast-unto-death launched by Chandrasekhar Rao.
The authorities deployed additional pickets of police
personnel in sensitive areas in the wake of the bandh call by
TRS as also a `black day` tomorrow against demolition of Babri
In an appeal to Rao to call off his fast, the Chief
Minister said, "I am ready to discuss everything with you. I am
expecting that you will appreciate the situation and
co-operate with us."
"Please call off your fast and let peace be restored", he
said and appealed to other opposition parties to prevail upon
Rao to end the fast.
Addressing a press conference after a high-level review
meeting with Home Minister P Sabita Reddy, Director General of
Police RR Girish Kumar and others, the Chief Minister said
creation of a separate state was an issue to be addressed by
He said he had taken up Telangana issue with Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi
during his visit to New Delhi on December 2 and 3.
"This is the problem not just in the case of our state.
Similar demands for creation of smaller states have been there
in other areas as well. Hence, the Centre is trying to resolve
these issues through a consensus," Rosaiah said.
Since the UPA was a multi-party government, a consensus
was required on such critical issues both within the
government as well as outside, he said adding "efforts are on
to arrive at a consensus".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly