IAF choppers, Army control forest fire in Tirumala
Tirumala: A joint operation by the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Army have managed to control a huge fire in Seshachalam forest near Tirumala in Andhra Pradesh.
"A well-coordinated fire-fighting effort by the Army and the Indian Air Force were able to control a huge jungle fire which had erupted in Tirumala area of Andhra Pradesh, yesterday afternoon," said a Defence statement.
"Information was received from the State Administration yesterday at 1500 hrs intimating that a jungle fire had erupted in Tirumala area and was inching closer towards the Tirupati Temple. The Defence Crisis Management Group, an apex level body of Defence Forces for managing disaster situations, chaired by the Chief of Integrated Defence Staff immediately swung into action and within 15 minutes, a coordinated and integrated response was undertaken by the Army and the Air Force," statement added.
Continuous aerial recces were launched by the Air Force to ascertain the extent of damage and spread of fire. Initially an AN-32 aircraft carried out the recce of the area at 1800 hrs yesterday to provide full overview of the problem.
Another light helicopter based recce was launched an hour later. In the night, a C-130 aircraft got airborne at 2330 hrs and with its sophisticated gadgetry, recced the affected areas for fire spread that could affect the holy Tirupati Temple.
Two MI-17 V5 helicopters with Bambi buckets with a capacity of 4000 litres of water each, reached Renigunta Airport and commenced the task of fire fighting. The helicopters carried out four sorties wherein all forest fires burning near the Temple were extinguished.
The statement further said: "Two Army columns have also been moved from Chennai and reached Tirupati at 0400 hrs, on Thursday. These are deployed to assist the State Administration in dealing with the crisis. HQ Integrated Defence Staff is in touch with the authorities of the Tirupati Tirumala Devasthanam and continuously monitoring the Armed Forces response. The helicopter operations are likely to continue till today."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception