IAS officer`s wife protests alleged harassment by her husband
Visakhapatnam: An IAS officer`s wife, along with leaders and activists of All India Democratic Women`s Association (AIDWA), staged a protest in front of the officer`s house on Friday, to protest against forcing her for a judicial separation.
Vice Chairman and Managing Director of Girijan Cooperative Corporation (GCC), Visakhapatnam, Eathokata Ramesh Kumar`s wife Swapna (35) alleged he and his family were agitated that she did not give birth to a male heir to carry forward the family legacy.
Swapna, a BTech graduate from Warangal in Telangana, who married Ramesh Kumar in October 29, 2001, said problems began after she gave birth to her first daughter E Rupin Kamini around 11 years ago.
After her second daughter E Shansia was born six years ago, her in-laws allegedly began harassing her as well as brainwashing her husband to marry another woman.
Swapna said she hoped that her husband would reform and love their children but alleged Ramesh did not change his attitude and continued harassing her. He filed a petition for judicial separation at the Additional Family Court, Visakhapatnam, on March 12, 2013, she said.
"I, along with my children, left for my parents` home town in Khammam around seven months ago after my husband and in-laws threatened me with dire consequences for staying with them. I approached several IAS and IPS officers to solve my problem but no one responded. Ramesh severely harassed me and my daughters and did not even provide food on some days," Swapna charged.
However, Ramesh claimed in a press release that he had
filed a petition for judicial separation but not divorce in order to give each of them some space for "reconciliation and realization," as well as sort out family disputes.
He also mentioned that it is unfortunate that Swapna and members of the women`s organization "forcibly entered" their home, though the dispute is still in court.
"I am a law-abiding citizen and would abide by the outcome of the case pending before court," Ramesh said.
AIDWA leaders said they are awaiting a dialogue with Ramesh in the presence of the police to solve the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video