IJU condemns Manipuri scribe`s death in police firing
Hyderabad: The Indian Journalists Union (IJU) on Monday expressed profound shock over the death of Manipuri journalist Thangjam Nanao Singh, allegedly in police firing, while covering the face-off between protesters and police over molestation of a local actress by a Naga militant.
In a statement issued here today, IJU President SN Sinha and Secretary General Devulpalli Amar expressed doubts over the official version and wondered how only the journalist wounded while not even a single alleged agitator injured in the police firing.
Thangjam Nanao Singh alias Dwijamanti, a journalist with `Prime Time` news channel who also contributed pictures to Doordarshan, was killed in the police firing yesterday while taking pictures during the strike at Thangmeiband area in Imphal West district over the molestation incident.
"We have our own apprehensions. We demand that a credible and independent inquiry should be held to find out the cause and circumstances leading to police firing and the resultant death of journalist.
We also demand that the police should immediately return the camera of Nanao Singh in which he had captured the happenings on the spot before he fell to the police bullet", they said, adding the snaps in the camera might lead to unravel the cause of the firing.
Sinha and Amar demanded that the family of Nanao Singh should be adequately compensated by the governments of India and Manipur.
They called upon the working journalists in the country to protest against lack of safety to journalists in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset