Increase wage days under MGNREGS to 200: Reddy
New Delhi: Andhra Pradesh on Thursday asked the Centre to increase the number of wage days under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) from the present 150 to 200 to benefit non-farm labour and marginalised sections of the society.
In his speech at the National Development Council meeting which was read out by Finance Minister Anam Ramanarayana Reddy, Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy emphasised the need for synchronising MGNREGS with agriculture to ensure that it continues to benefit agricultural labour.
Noting that the availability of private agricultural labour is likely to shrink as a result of the increased mechanisation, he said this shortage may have to be compensated by increasing the number of wage days under MGNREGS from the present 150 days to more than 200 days.
"MGNREGS has thus become a lifeline for the SC/ST wage seekers and has to a significant level improve their conditions of living and additional man days will help to provide a brighter life at least to their posterity," Reddy said.
He also noted that the Government has recently successful passed the Andhra Pradesh Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan and Tribal Sub-Plan(Planning Allocation and Utilisation of Financial Resources) Bill, 2012 in the State Legislature.
"It is expected that by the implementation of the Act about Rs 70,000 crore would be made available for the SCSP/TSP during the XII Five Year Plan. Due to strict implementation of the norm laid in the Bill, an additional amount of about Rs. 3,000 crore every year is expected to be available for SCSP/TSP," he said.
Reddy also congratulated the UPA Government, for successfully getting the approval in both Houses of Parliament for reform-oriented decision of allowing Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail in the Country.
"We welcome the step as it will not only introduce new technology and bring in investment in marketing agricultural produce but also strengthen the supply chain considerably," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day