Increase wage days under MGNREGS to 200: Reddy
New Delhi: Andhra Pradesh on Thursday asked the Centre to increase the number of wage days under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) from the present 150 to 200 to benefit non-farm labour and marginalised sections of the society.
In his speech at the National Development Council meeting which was read out by Finance Minister Anam Ramanarayana Reddy, Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy emphasised the need for synchronising MGNREGS with agriculture to ensure that it continues to benefit agricultural labour.
Noting that the availability of private agricultural labour is likely to shrink as a result of the increased mechanisation, he said this shortage may have to be compensated by increasing the number of wage days under MGNREGS from the present 150 days to more than 200 days.
"MGNREGS has thus become a lifeline for the SC/ST wage seekers and has to a significant level improve their conditions of living and additional man days will help to provide a brighter life at least to their posterity," Reddy said.
He also noted that the Government has recently successful passed the Andhra Pradesh Scheduled Castes Sub-Plan and Tribal Sub-Plan(Planning Allocation and Utilisation of Financial Resources) Bill, 2012 in the State Legislature.
"It is expected that by the implementation of the Act about Rs 70,000 crore would be made available for the SCSP/TSP during the XII Five Year Plan. Due to strict implementation of the norm laid in the Bill, an additional amount of about Rs. 3,000 crore every year is expected to be available for SCSP/TSP," he said.
Reddy also congratulated the UPA Government, for successfully getting the approval in both Houses of Parliament for reform-oriented decision of allowing Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail in the Country.
"We welcome the step as it will not only introduce new technology and bring in investment in marketing agricultural produce but also strengthen the supply chain considerably," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death