Indefinite strike for separate Telangana begins
Hyderabad: Telangana supporters including
Andhra Pradesh government employees in the region today began
an indefinite strike in support of the separate statehood,
with rallies, road blockades and sit-ins organised to press
for their demands.
As part of the `strike by all sections of people`, the
pro-Telangana employees stayed away from work in Hyderabad and
other places in the region.
Raising slogans in support of Telangana, they held
sit-ins and other forms of protest.
"The employees will not cooperate with the government.
The state ministers from Telangana region should also
participate in the strike by the people," K Vithal, a leader
of Telangana employees union, told reporters.
Other Telangana supporters like students and lawyers also
took out rallies at various places like Warangal.
The workers of the state-run coal miner Singareni
Collieries Ltd also struck in various districts like Khammam,
Adilabad and elsewhere.
TRS leaders organised road blockades across the region
as part of the `people`s strike`.
Addressing a public meeting at Karimnagar last night,
TRS president K Chandrasekhar Rao appealed to the public to
actively participate in the indefinite strike.
The non-gazetted officers, gazetted officers, students,
teachers, lecturers, advocates and others would participate in
the strike, he said.
As part of the agitation, buses will not ply, trains
will be stopped, coal will not be produced in Singareni,
schools, colleges and offices will remain closed, the TRS
The state government is threatening to invoke ESMA
against the employees who go on strike, but the warning will
not succeed, Rao maintained.
The agitation will go on till Telangana state is
achieved, Rao said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town