INS condemns freezing of Reddy’s publications A/Cs
New Delhi: The Indian Newspaper Society today strongly condemned the freezing of bank accounts of Jagan Mohan Reddy-owned Sakshi Group of Publications by the CBI and claimed this will scuttle the process of opinion building in the build-up to bypolls in Andhra Pradesh.
In a statement, INS President Ashish Bagga said the CBI action could lead to abrupt and sudden stoppage of printing and publication of Sakshi newspaper and render over 10,000 employees of the group jobless.
"The action of the CBI has come at a time when the state of Andhra Pradesh is in election mode, a period when free dissemination of news and views is necessary to embellish the democratic process," he said.
The INS viewed the CBI action as a "great threat" to freedom of press and it will scuttle the process of opinion building in the build-up to by-elections in Andhra Pradesh.
"INS has called upon the Government of India and the authorities concerned to stop taking steps that could derail the freedom of speech and curtail citizens` right to information," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday