INS condemns freezing of Reddy’s publications A/Cs
New Delhi: The Indian Newspaper Society today strongly condemned the freezing of bank accounts of Jagan Mohan Reddy-owned Sakshi Group of Publications by the CBI and claimed this will scuttle the process of opinion building in the build-up to bypolls in Andhra Pradesh.
In a statement, INS President Ashish Bagga said the CBI action could lead to abrupt and sudden stoppage of printing and publication of Sakshi newspaper and render over 10,000 employees of the group jobless.
"The action of the CBI has come at a time when the state of Andhra Pradesh is in election mode, a period when free dissemination of news and views is necessary to embellish the democratic process," he said.
The INS viewed the CBI action as a "great threat" to freedom of press and it will scuttle the process of opinion building in the build-up to by-elections in Andhra Pradesh.
"INS has called upon the Government of India and the authorities concerned to stop taking steps that could derail the freedom of speech and curtail citizens` right to information," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi