INS condemns freezing of Reddy’s publications A/Cs
New Delhi: The Indian Newspaper Society today strongly condemned the freezing of bank accounts of Jagan Mohan Reddy-owned Sakshi Group of Publications by the CBI and claimed this will scuttle the process of opinion building in the build-up to bypolls in Andhra Pradesh.
In a statement, INS President Ashish Bagga said the CBI action could lead to abrupt and sudden stoppage of printing and publication of Sakshi newspaper and render over 10,000 employees of the group jobless.
"The action of the CBI has come at a time when the state of Andhra Pradesh is in election mode, a period when free dissemination of news and views is necessary to embellish the democratic process," he said.
The INS viewed the CBI action as a "great threat" to freedom of press and it will scuttle the process of opinion building in the build-up to by-elections in Andhra Pradesh.
"INS has called upon the Government of India and the authorities concerned to stop taking steps that could derail the freedom of speech and curtail citizens` right to information," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY