Intense lobbying by Seemandhra, Telangana leaders in Delhi
New Delhi/Hyderabad: With the central government determined to table Telangana bill in parliament, top leaders from Andhra Pradesh have made a beeline to the national capital for lobbying for and against separate Telangana state.
Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy Tuesday left for Delhi to mobilize support for his demand that the bill defeated in both the houses of state legislature should not be tabled in parliament.
He joined several leaders already camping in the national capital in the wake of the centre`s move to table Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Bill 2013, aimed at creation of Telangana state, in parliament.
Telugu Desam Party (TDP) president N. Chandrababu Naidu and Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K. Chandrasekhara Rao besides several top leaders of Congress and TDP from both Telangana and Seemandhra regions were already engaged in hectic lobbying.
Naidu met President Pranab Mukherjee Monday night to seek his intervention for finding an amicable solution to the Telangana problem. He complained that the central government was acting in a unilateral manner against the federal spirit.
The former chief minister also met Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh Monday.
On the other hand, TRS chief met leaders of BJP and other parties to garner support for the Telangana bill.
The chief minister along with other Congress leaders from Seemandhra plan a day-long fast at Indira Gandhi`s `samadhi` to oppose state`s bifurcation. They will also discuss the possibility of moving the Supreme Court to stall the division.
S. Sailajanath, a state minister from Seemandhra, said the chief minister would meet the President Wednesday to request him not to forward the bill to parliament as both houses of the state legislature passed resolutions rejecting the bill.
Ministers and other Congress leaders from Telangana were also camping in Delhi to meet the central leaders to press for their demand that the bill be tabled immediately in parliament.
TDP leaders from Telangana also reached Delhi Tuesday to meet President, prime minister and leaders of various parties to seek immediate tabling and passage of the bill. Their counterparts from Seemandhra were already camping in the national capital for lobbying against the bill.
Both the groups were busy holding separate meetings to chalk out their plan of action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27