IPS officer in AP suspended on charges of corruption
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government on Monday placed an Indian Police Service officer under suspension for allegedly indulging in corrupt practices.
In an order issued today, state Chief Secretary Minnie Mathew said the officer, M Naganna of 2000 batch currently serving as Deputy Commissioner of Police in the City Armed Reserve Headquarters in Hyderabad, had indulged in corrupt practices while working as Superintendent of Railway Police at Vijayawada previously.
"The Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy brought to the notice of the government in a letter on December 4 that Naganna prima facie indulged in corrupt practices. It is a serious misconduct and as such the government places him under suspension in public interest with immediate effect, pending initiation of disciplinary proceedings against him," the Chief Secretary said in her order.
Police sources said Naganna, when he was Superintendent of Railway Police at Vijayawada, did not account for the gold recovered from an accused in a theft case.
"There were several discrepancies in accounting for the gold recovered from the accused. A preliminary inquiry established that Naganna indulged in corruption and accordingly the government has been requested to place him under suspension," a top police official said.
Taking a serious view of the issue, the government placed the promotee IPS officer under suspension.
He is the second IPS officer to be suspended from service on charges of corruption in recent years after J G Murali, the then Superintendent of Police, Visakhapatnam Rural.
Murali subsequently retired from service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars