IPS officer in AP suspended on charges of corruption
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government on Monday placed an Indian Police Service officer under suspension for allegedly indulging in corrupt practices.
In an order issued today, state Chief Secretary Minnie Mathew said the officer, M Naganna of 2000 batch currently serving as Deputy Commissioner of Police in the City Armed Reserve Headquarters in Hyderabad, had indulged in corrupt practices while working as Superintendent of Railway Police at Vijayawada previously.
"The Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy brought to the notice of the government in a letter on December 4 that Naganna prima facie indulged in corrupt practices. It is a serious misconduct and as such the government places him under suspension in public interest with immediate effect, pending initiation of disciplinary proceedings against him," the Chief Secretary said in her order.
Police sources said Naganna, when he was Superintendent of Railway Police at Vijayawada, did not account for the gold recovered from an accused in a theft case.
"There were several discrepancies in accounting for the gold recovered from the accused. A preliminary inquiry established that Naganna indulged in corruption and accordingly the government has been requested to place him under suspension," a top police official said.
Taking a serious view of the issue, the government placed the promotee IPS officer under suspension.
He is the second IPS officer to be suspended from service on charges of corruption in recent years after J G Murali, the then Superintendent of Police, Visakhapatnam Rural.
Murali subsequently retired from service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'