IPS officer in AP suspended on charges of corruption
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh government on Monday placed an Indian Police Service officer under suspension for allegedly indulging in corrupt practices.
In an order issued today, state Chief Secretary Minnie Mathew said the officer, M Naganna of 2000 batch currently serving as Deputy Commissioner of Police in the City Armed Reserve Headquarters in Hyderabad, had indulged in corrupt practices while working as Superintendent of Railway Police at Vijayawada previously.
"The Director General of Police V Dinesh Reddy brought to the notice of the government in a letter on December 4 that Naganna prima facie indulged in corrupt practices. It is a serious misconduct and as such the government places him under suspension in public interest with immediate effect, pending initiation of disciplinary proceedings against him," the Chief Secretary said in her order.
Police sources said Naganna, when he was Superintendent of Railway Police at Vijayawada, did not account for the gold recovered from an accused in a theft case.
"There were several discrepancies in accounting for the gold recovered from the accused. A preliminary inquiry established that Naganna indulged in corruption and accordingly the government has been requested to place him under suspension," a top police official said.
Taking a serious view of the issue, the government placed the promotee IPS officer under suspension.
He is the second IPS officer to be suspended from service on charges of corruption in recent years after JG Murali, the then Superintendent of Police, Visakhapatnam Rural.
Murali subsequently retired from service.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says