Jagan allowed to vote in Presidential poll
Hyderabad: A special CBI court today allowed YSR Congress Party chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy to cast his vote in Presidential elections to be held on July 19.
The court also allowed Mopidevi Venkata Ramana, former Excise Minister, who was also arrested by the CBI in Jagan`s alleged disproportionate assets case, to exercise his franchise.
Jagan, in his petition, urged the court to direct the CBI and the prison authorities to enable him to cast his vote on the Assembly premises on that day.
According to B Ravindranath, CBI Deputy Legal Advisor, the court ordered the prison authorities to give required protection to Jagan and also bring him back to the prison `immediately`.
Jagan`s counsel had earlier argued that Jagan, as a sitting MP, was a member of the electoral college and was entitled to participate in the voting as the Presidential and Vice-Presidential Elections Rules 1974 laid down that every elector had to cast the ballot personally in the manner specified and no proxies were allowed.
The Kadapa MP had earlier sent a formal request to the Election Commission to allow him to cast his vote in Hyderabad.
Jagan, now in jail for the last 50 days in connection with the disproportionate assets case, has been out of public domain and has participated in the court proceedings through video-conference facility.
Though YSR Congress Party did not declare their stand on the Presidential elections, Sabbam Hari, a Congress MP and Jagan loyalist reportedly said the party may vote for Pranab Mukherjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon