Jagan begins `padayatra` for Polavaram irrigation project
Hyderabad: Former Congress MP Y S Jagan Mohan
Reddy today launched a `padayatra` from Ravulapalem in East
Godavari district demanding that the multi-purpose Polavaram
irrigation project be taken up immediately.
Highlighting the need for taking up the project, he said
it would benefit not only the coastal districts but also
Telangana and Rayalaseema as well.
The project was first mooted in 1940s with Bharat Ratna B
R Ambedkar agreeing on the need to take it up but it still
remained a dream, he said.
It was only late Y S Rajasekhara Reddy who made sincere
efforts to start the project, he added.
If the Centre does not give the funds for the project,
why cannot the state government take it up on its own, the
former MP asked.
Congress MP M Rajamohan Reddy, MLA P Subhash Chandra
Bose, who are loyal to him, are among those who participated
in the inaugural public meeting addressed by Jagan at
The state government has been making efforts to get
national project status for the project which is proposed to
be built at Polavaram town in West Godavari district.
All political parties, including Telugu Desam,
Chiranjeevi` s Praja Rajyam, have been agitating on getting
national status for the Polavaram project.
The Polavaram project was conceived as a multipurpose
scheme providing irrigation to 4.36 lakh hectares, water
supply to towns and villages en route, and generating hydel
power with an installed capacity of 960 MW. The project
envisaged construction of an earth-cum-rockfill dam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars
- Expect 8% GDP growth in FY17 on back of good monsoon: Shaktikanta Das
- Saarc FMs meet focused on trade, tax avoidance pacts: Das
- Centre to replace J&K governor? Five names doing rounds as his successor
- Arun Jaitley pitches for BRICS arbitration platform