Jagan benefited from sympathy: Chandrababu Naidu
Hyderabad: Telugu Desam Party president N Chandrababu Naidu said this evening that the victory of YSR Congress in the by-elections in Andhra Pradesh was due to the `sympathy factor`.
"Jagan benefited from the sympathy. But that will only be a temporary gain and the real test will be the 2014 elections," Chandrababu told reporters, in reaction to the by-poll results in which his party was routed in all the 18 Assembly constituencies.
He blamed the ruling Congress for failing to take "timely action" against Jagan over corruption.
"The way in which he was arrested...His mother`s and sister`s campaign all generated some sympathy for Jagan and that helped the YSRC," he said.
The TDP had fought relentlessly on various issues like corruption, agrarian crisis and other problems of the people, he said. "Our target is 2014 and we shall continue to fight on all issues concerning people."
The party would deliberate on the by-election results and take necessary corrective steps, the former Chief Minister said.
Replying to a question on the Presidential election, Chandrababu said the decision on who to support would be taken after a discussion in the politburo tomorrow.
He refused to comment on UPA`s choice of Pranab Mukherjee for the President`s post.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview