Jagan camp trying to woo Congress MP
Hyderabad: A day after announcing his decision to quit politics unhappy over the new cabinet formation, Congress MP from Guntur Rayapati Sambasiva Rao on Monday met a close aide of YS Jaganmohan Reddy, the rebel who resigned from the party and also as MP last week.
Rao met Ambati Rambabu, who was suspended from the party recently, at his residence in Guntur. The meeting assumes significance in view of the MP`s announcement late Sunday that he would quit politics. He also announced that his brother and member of legislative council Rayapati Srinivas would follow him.
Rao, a leader from the Khamma community, is unhappy over the "raw deal" meted out his community in the cabinet formation. He had lobbied for a ministerial berth for his brother.
Rao, who was also aspiring to be a minister in the central cabinet, said he decided to quit as he was unable to serve his constituents due to lack of cooperation and support from the central government.
The MP was also unhappy at Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy retaining Kanna Lakshminarayana in his cabinet. Rao had made serious allegations of corruption against Lakshminarayana, who was earlier minister for major industries and is now for housing.
Jaganmohan Reddy`s attempts to woo Rao could add to the woes of the Congress party in the state. The son of late Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy is already believed to have the support of two MPs -- Sabbam Hari (Ankapalle) and Mekapati Rajmohan Reddy (Nellore).
Jaganmohan Reddy, who quit both the Congress party and his Kadapa Lok Sabha seat accusing the leadership of trying to divide his family, plans to float a new party.
Some Congress legislators, unhappy over not getting cabinet berths, and even ministers unsatisfied with portfolios allotted to them have openly voiced their resentment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...