Jagan challenges Congress for snap poll
Hyderabad: A day after his landslide victory in Kadapa by-elections in Andhra Pradesh, YSR Congress Party chief YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Saturday challenged the Congress to call for a snap poll and contest with photos of Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi.
"This is my challenge to the Congress party. If you are so confident, call for an election. Go ahead with the photos of (party president) Sonia Gandhi and (general secretary) Rahul Gandhi. I am ready to go ahead with the photo of my father (late Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy)," he told reporters in Kadapa Saturday.
The young leader, popularly called Jagan, retained the Kadapa Lok Sabha seat with a record margin of over 500,000 votes on Friday.
He predicted that whenever the elections are held both the ruling Congress and the opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) will be routed.
"Both will lose their deposit money, routed out so badly that it will always be remembered," Jagan said.
Jagan`s mother YS Vijayalaxmi retained Pulivendula assembly seat, which is a segment of the Kadapa Lok Sabha contituency, with record majority.
During the byelection campaign, Jagan had termed the contest a fight between YSR and Sonia Gandhi.
The son of late chief minister Rajasekhara Reddy, who died in a helicopter crash, said the results of the by-elections mark the beginning of a change in the state.
He, however, made it clear that he was not counting on the sitting legislators to bring down the Congress government.
"Fresh faces are always better," he said.
His remarks are significant amid reports that a majority of 26 legislators, who had supported him soon after he quit the Congress party in November last year, deserted him during last two months.
Jagan also said he was sad over the defeat of his uncle YS Vivekananda Reddy in Pulivendula.
He said he would be happy if his uncle quits the Congress and joins the YSR Congress.
"At least now he should reconsider his stand," the leader added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'