Jagan withdraws bail application from apex court
New Delhi: YSR Congress Party leader YS Jaganmohan Reddy on Monday withdrew his bail plea from the Supreme Court in which he had challenged the Andhra Pradesh High Court order rejecting his plea in the disproportionate assets case against him.
Senior counsel Ram Jethmalani sought withdrawal of the application moved by Jagan on the ground that he intended to file a modified application for the same.
On July 10, Jagan had moved the apex court seeking bail on the ground that CBI did not have a shred of evidence against him in the illegal assets case.
He had argued that merely being wealthy or in public life does not deprive him of his right to get bail.
In the Special Leave Petition filed through counsel Senthil Jagadeesan, the rebel Congress leader had submitted there was "complete and utter misapplication of the principles governing bail jurisprudence by the high court, leading to deprivation of his right to liberty granted by the Constitution.
"This complete and utter misapplication of the principles governing bail jurisprudence by the high court has led to continuing deprivation of the rights of the petitioner under Article 21 of the Constitution.
"CBI has wholly failed to show a shred of proof to suggest that the petitioner would tamper with evidence or influence witnesses", the petition said.
In fact, the High Court had also ignored the basic fact that for over nine long months and three chargesheets after the registration of the FIR, the petitioner has enjoyed his freedom without any complaint of influencing the more than 150 witnesses listed, the petition said.
On July 4, the High Court had rejected Jagan`s bail plea on the ground that he had the propensity to influence witnesses.
Jagan has contended the High Court virtually proceeded to pronounce him guilty by observing that "this court is of the opinion that individual right of the petitioner for bail cannot have precedence over the larger interests of the society which is stated to have sustained wrongful loss by way of deprivation of public money of larger magnitude for development and welfare of the people of the state."
In his SLP before the apex court, Jagan, son of late Chief Minister YS Rajashekar Reddy, contended the High Court had denied him the bail merely because of his political position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo