Jagan`s mother to campaign in by-elections
Hyderabad: With the arrest of YS Jaganmohan Reddy on charges of corruption, his mother Vijayamma will now campaign for the YSR Congress in next month`s by-elections.
Vijayamma, the honorary President of the party, was requested to do so after the party`s central governing council held an emergency meeting on Monday.
Party leader Shoba Nagi Reddy said Vijayamma would start campaigning on May 30. She told reporters that they would convince her to call off her hunger strike.
Vijayamma and other family members are on indefinite fast at their Lotus Pond residence in Banjara Hills here to protest Jagan`s arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
By-elections to the Nellore Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats are scheduled to be held on June 12. Jagan`s arrest has put brakes on the party`s campaign as he has been the star campaigner.
Vijayamma, who has blamed Congress party Sonia Gandhi for her son`s arrest, is likely to use the election campaign to mount further attack on the Congress and cash in on the perceived sympathy wave for Jagan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers