Jagan`s mother to campaign in by-elections
Hyderabad: With the arrest of YS Jaganmohan Reddy on charges of corruption, his mother Vijayamma will now campaign for the YSR Congress in next month`s by-elections.
Vijayamma, the honorary President of the party, was requested to do so after the party`s central governing council held an emergency meeting on Monday.
Party leader Shoba Nagi Reddy said Vijayamma would start campaigning on May 30. She told reporters that they would convince her to call off her hunger strike.
Vijayamma and other family members are on indefinite fast at their Lotus Pond residence in Banjara Hills here to protest Jagan`s arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
By-elections to the Nellore Lok Sabha and 18 assembly seats are scheduled to be held on June 12. Jagan`s arrest has put brakes on the party`s campaign as he has been the star campaigner.
Vijayamma, who has blamed Congress party Sonia Gandhi for her son`s arrest, is likely to use the election campaign to mount further attack on the Congress and cash in on the perceived sympathy wave for Jagan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery