Jayaprakash Narayan demands scrapping of AP Reorganisation bill
Hyderabad: Lok Satta Party president N Jayaprakash Narayan today said the draft AP Reorganisation Bill 2013 is full of flaws and demanded that it be scrapped forthwith.
The Centre should come up with a new Bill after the general elections, he said.
Narayan accused the Centre of ignoring the wishes of the state over the proposed bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh and stressed the need for a "negotiated settlement."
"The GoI is acting as if the wishes of the state do not matter. The process (of bifurcation) and the form of the Bill are deeply flawed and will convert India into a de facto unitary country," Narayan said here today.
Asking the state Legislature, to which the draft Bill was referred to by the President of India, to express its "collective view," the legislator asserted that "voting" on the Bill was the right of the members.
"Stalling debate (on the draft Bill) only hurts the cause of all regions. And denying the vote on the Bill itself violates federalism," he remarked.
The members and the House have the duty to reflect the people`s views, he said.
Noting that "process and the form" of the Bill were deeply flawed, Narayan appealed the Legislature to reject it.
"A negotiated settlement satisfying all regions is possible and necessary. On that basis, a new Bill can be taken up after the election," the bureaucrat-turned-politician said.
He, however, said they could not go back to status quo.
"For years, Assembly hardly functioned and ministers are no longer working collectively," he lamented.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM