Jumat-ul-Vida passes off peacefully in Hyderabad
Hyderabad: Jumat-ul-Vida or the last Friday of Muslim holy month of Ramadan passed off peacefully here with thousands of faithful offering the prayers.
The police had made elaborate security arrangements to maintain law and order in the old city, where the largest congregation was held at the historic Mecca Masjid.
Additional security arrangements were made in view of the possible protests by the Muslim groups over violence in Assam and the persecution of Muslims in Myanmar. However, no such protest was was held.
The police diverted traffic on the main roads around Mecca Masjid and Charminar as the Muslims offered prayers on the streets adjoining the sprawling mosque, one of the biggest in India.
Huge gatherings were seen at hundreds of mosques in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Clad in their best and wearing skull cap, thousands offered prayers in Masjid-e-Chowk, Darulshifa, Masjid Ujale Shah, Public Gardens mosque, Masjid-e-Azizia and Jama Masjid Secunderabad.
The `khateeb` (priest) in their sermons exhorted Muslims to continue `namaz` and other pious deeds after Ramadan and strictly follow the holy Quran for success in this life and hereafter.
Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) organised the annual `Quran day` meeting at Mecca Masjid.
The prayers also passed off peacefully in Nizamabad, Karimnagar, Adilabad, Guntur, Kurnool, Kadapa and other towns across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up