Justice Kakru to be appointed APHRC chairman
Hyderabad: The Andhra Pradesh government
on Tuesday cleared the name of retired Chief Justice of state High
Court Nisar Ahmad Kakru for the post of chairman of AP Human
Kakru`s name was unanimously approved by the high-level
selection committee comprising Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar
Reddy, Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu, among others.
A formal notification appointing Kakru as the HRC
chairman will be issued subsequently, official sources said.
He will hold the post for five years.
Kakru, who hails from Jammu and Kashmir, retired last
month as the Chief Justice of AP High Court.
Legislative Council chairman A Chakrapani, a member of
the selection committee, proposed Kakru`s name and it was
Though the state government also considered the name of
retired Supreme Court judge B Sudarshan Reddy for the post, he
reportedly declined to take up the job citing ill health.
The name of another retired judge Bilal Nazki was also in
contention but Kakru emerged as a surprise choice, official
Emerging out of the meeting, Chandrababu said that they
approved Kakru`s name as he belonged to the minority
"We did not suggest any name for the post," he added.
The post of APHRC chairman had been lying vacant for more
than one-and-a-half years after the retirement of B Subhashan
Kakumanu Peda Peri Reddy, a non-judicial member, has been
holding charge as the HRC chief since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Watch this video! Your stomach will churn as man puts 2 live vampire bats in mouth
- WATCH: On this day in 1983, Kapil Dev's India were crowned world champion
- `Narasimha Rao used IB to keep an eye on Sonia Gandhi after Babri Masjid demolition`
- Iceland elects new president in vote eclipsed by Euros, Brexit
- We don't need people like Mukhtar Ansari in party: Akhilesh Yadav