Key accused arrested in Andhra PG Medical Entrance exam case
Hyderabad: The key accused for the alleged irregularities in the Post-Graduate Medical Entrance Test conducted by Vijayawada-based Dr NTR University of Health Sciences this year in Andhra Pradesh, and 10 others were arrested on Saturday, police said.
So far investigations have established the involvement of 16 brokers (education consultants), one doctor, two helpers and 27 students in this case, Additional Director General of Police (CID), T Krishna Prasad told reporters here.
The arrests were made from various parts of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
A Sriknath, a first ranker besides the mastermind behind the leakage of AP PGMET-2014, Ameer Ahmed of Davangere (in Karnataka) and Dr Avinash were among who were arrested by sleuths of Andhra CID from Bangalore.
Also, the involvement of the management of Manipal Printing Press and the higher authorities of Dr NTRUHS continues to be under probe, Prasad said.
With these arrests, CID so far held as many as 30 persons in the case.
Earlier, 9 brokers and 11 students were arrested in this connection.
The state government had ordered a CID inquiry into the alleged irregularities in the PG Medical Entrance Exam. A one-man committee, headed by State Council of Higher Education Chairman, L Venugopal Reddy was constituted to look into the issue and the report was submitted to Governor ESL Narasimhan.
A team of CID visited the university and questioned some officials and enquired whether they had any role in the allegations being levelled by aspirants.
Around 15000 students took the examinations held on March 2 for 2240 seats across colleges in AP.
However, hundreds of students had complained that some candidates had secured top ranks though they had failed in some subjects in graduation, besides some others performed poorly in PG entrance exams in other states.
The CID Chief said they identified the involvement of few more brokers and through them some more candidates to be examined.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP