Kiran Reddy discusses by-election results after poor show
Hyderabad: The Congress has began the post-mortem of the Kadapa and Pulivendula by-election results with Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy conferring with the losing candidates DL Ravindra Reddy and YS Vivekananda Reddy at his camp office on Saturday.
Ravindra Reddy, currently the State Health Minister, lost his security deposit in the by-election for Kadapa Lok Sabha seat that was won by YSR Congress party president YS Jaganmohan Reddy by a record margin of 5.45 lakh votes.
Though he managed to secure his deposit in Pulivendula, Vivekananda faced the ignominy of losing to his sister-in-law YS Vijayalakshmi, who too got elected to the state Assembly by a record margin of 81,373 votes.
The Chief Minister discussed the bypoll results with the two candidates as well as Badwel MLA Kamalamma. Kamalamma returned to the Congress fold on the eve of the bypolls after sailing with Jagan for a few months.
Sources said the Chief Minister is now contemplating to get Vivekananda, younger brother of late Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy, "nominated" to the AP Legislative Council through the Governor.
The state Governor is required to nominate five candidates to the Legislative Council following the vacancies that arose with the retirement of members in March.
Vivekananda resigned from the state Cabinet as Agriculture Minister after his Council membership ended in March and contested the by-election from Pulivendula.
Kiran Kumar is said to be keen re-inducting Vivekananda into the Council of Ministers by getting him nominated to the Legislative Council.
This would, however, be subject to Vivekananda`s willingness to get nominated to the Council, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender