Kiran Reddy opposes bifurcation during meeting with Rahul
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy on Friday told Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi that the Congress would suffer due to state`s bifurcation.
In his meeting with Gandhi in the national capital, the Chief Minister reiterated his stand against the party leadership`s decision to divide the state by carving out separate Telangana state.
Kiran Reddy told Congress vice president that the party stand to lose in both the regions (Seemandhra and Telangana) as an overwhelming majority of the population is against bifurcation, party sources said.
The Chief Minister met Gandhi during a brainstorming session the latter held with chief ministers of Congress-ruled states and senior leaders to discuss the party strategy for 2014 elections.
Gandhi told the Chief Minister that the party leadership has already taken a decision on the issue after consultations with all the parties. President Pranab Mukherjee earlier this month sent the bill for bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh to the state assembly for its views.
This was the first time that Kiran Reddy came face to face with the Congress leadership after openly criticising the decision of the party and the government to carve out Telangana state.
Kiran Reddy had also written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Mukherjee to ensure that the bifurcation issue is referred to the state assembly for an "appropriate resolution".
During the meeting on Friday, the Congress vice president advised the chief minister to focus on programmes like `Mee Seva` aimed at providing citizen services in a transparent manner.
Kiran Reddy briefed him about the services rendered under `Mee Seva` . Citizens are being issued various certificates at `Mee Seva` centres on payment of a nominal fee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof