Kishenji`s body to be sent to Andhra for last rite
Kolkata: The West Bengal government on Friday decided to send the body of killed Maoist leader Kishenji to Andhra Pradesh after consulting his family and completing procedural formalities.
"The body is being sent," state chief minister Mamata Banerjee told mediapersons here in reply to a query.
Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh said "procedural matters do exist" but it was not mandatory for the state government to seek clearance from Andhra Pradesh.
The autopsy on Kishenji`s body scheduled to be held Friday was postponed to Saturday after it was identified by his niece Deepa Rao late Friday night.
A forensic team will be present during the post mortem while the government was open to DNA test also, said another official.
Security agencies have claimed that Communist Party of India-Maoist`s politburo member Kishenji, whose real name was Mallojula Koteshwar Rao, died in a firefight Thursday afternoon in West Midnapore district`s Burishole, 10 km from the border with Jharkhand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured