Kodela Sivaprasada Rao elected speaker of Andhra Pradesh Assembly
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Senior Telugu Desam Party leader Kodela Sivaprasada Rao was on Friday announced as speaker of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly post bifurcation of the state.
Pro-tem Speaker P Narayanaswamy Naidu today announced the election of Kodela amidst wide applause from House members. Notably, Rao was the only one who filed nomination papers for the post on Thursday.
The pro-tem Speaker then ushered the new Speaker into the Chair in the old Assembly building, which has been allotted to AP following the bifurcation.
Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, Leader of Opposition YS Jaganmohan Reddy, Legislative Affairs Minister Yanamala Ramakrishnudu and other legislators escorted Kodela to the Chair.
Hailing from Guntur district in south coastal Andhra, the TDP leader, a surgeon by profession, was elected to the Assembly from Sattenpalli constituency. He had earlier represented Narsaraopet constituency in the same district five times.
He has been a member of the Telugu Desam Party since its inception and has served as minister in prime portfolios like home, major irrigation, panchayat raj and rural development and medical and health departments in the Cabinets of the late NT Rama Rao and Chandrababu Naidu.
In keeping with tradition, the main opposition YSR Congress had supported Kodela`s candidature for the post of Speaker.
Upon a request by Legislative Affairs Minister Yanamala Ramakrishnudu, Jaganmohan Reddy signed Kodela`s nomination papers for the Speaker`s post.
The Chief Minister, Jagan and other members congratulated Kodela upon his election as Speaker.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!
- After Azhar, Harbhajan Singh visits Navjot Singh Sidhu in hospital!