Kodela Sivaprasada Rao elected speaker of Andhra Pradesh Assembly
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Senior Telugu Desam Party leader Kodela Sivaprasada Rao was on Friday announced as speaker of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly post bifurcation of the state.
Pro-tem Speaker P Narayanaswamy Naidu today announced the election of Kodela amidst wide applause from House members. Notably, Rao was the only one who filed nomination papers for the post on Thursday.
The pro-tem Speaker then ushered the new Speaker into the Chair in the old Assembly building, which has been allotted to AP following the bifurcation.
Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu, Leader of Opposition YS Jaganmohan Reddy, Legislative Affairs Minister Yanamala Ramakrishnudu and other legislators escorted Kodela to the Chair.
Hailing from Guntur district in south coastal Andhra, the TDP leader, a surgeon by profession, was elected to the Assembly from Sattenpalli constituency. He had earlier represented Narsaraopet constituency in the same district five times.
He has been a member of the Telugu Desam Party since its inception and has served as minister in prime portfolios like home, major irrigation, panchayat raj and rural development and medical and health departments in the Cabinets of the late NT Rama Rao and Chandrababu Naidu.
In keeping with tradition, the main opposition YSR Congress had supported Kodela`s candidature for the post of Speaker.
Upon a request by Legislative Affairs Minister Yanamala Ramakrishnudu, Jaganmohan Reddy signed Kodela`s nomination papers for the Speaker`s post.
The Chief Minister, Jagan and other members congratulated Kodela upon his election as Speaker.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000