Lagadapati Rajagopal hailed as Andhra Pradesh`s `Bhagat Singh`
Zee Media Bureau
Hyderabad: Lagadapati Rajagopal grabbed headlines on Thursday for using pepper spray in the Lok Sabha and turning Parliament into a house of shame.
According to DNA, TV channels beamed paid ads of Lagadapati and hailed him as `Andhra`s Bhagat Singh` and `Alluri Seetharamaraju (the tribal crusader against British).
Rajagopal - an Andhra Pradesh MP opposed to Telangana and one of the six MPs expelled from the Congress this week - was assaulted by fellow parliamentarians and taken out of the house by marshals after he sprayed the pungent pepper at startled parliamentarians to vent his anger over the decision to carve out Telangana state.
Rajagopal`s frenzy sent scores of MPs and Lok Sabha officials -- and journalists in the media gallery -- running for cover, coughing violently and with a burning sensation in their eyes.
A pungent odour enveloped the house, adding to the chaos caused by the unending sloganeering and disruptions since morning yesterday.
Born in 1964, he holds a degree of bachelor of technology in mechanical engineering from the private VR Siddhartha Engineering College in Vijayawada.
Notably, this was not the first time that the Congress MP from Vijayawada had resorted to unwonted ways to put forward his point.
In 2010, when the Telangana Rashtra Samiti had threatened not to allow Rajagopal to enter Hyderabad, the chairman of the Lanco group of companies reached the Andhra Pradesh capital by an overnight bus and got himself admitted to a hospital.
According to a news daily, Rajagopal has been known for being volatile since his college days.
Rajagopal is one of the richest MPs in the current Lok Sabha and joined active politics in the 2004 polls when he contested from Vijayawada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead