Lakhs appear for medical, engineering exam in Andhra Pradesh
Hyderabad: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (EAMCET) for admission to engineering and medical colleges in Andhra Pradesh began amid tight security arrangements across the state on Friday morning.
In all, 3,96,143 candidates are appearing in the annual exam at 735 centres. Officials said 2,91,078 students were writing the three-hour engineering test that began at 10 am.
As many as 1,05,065 students were registered for the medicine test, which facilitates entrance to the state`s agriculture colleges too, from 2.30 pm to 5.30 pm.
At several exam centres in Hyderabad, students who reached a couple of minutes late were not allowed inside. EAMCET convenor NV Ramana Rao had already declared that students reaching even a minute late would not be allowed to take the exam.
Thousands of students had reached exam centres one to two hours before the scheduled time.
However, there were many others who were caught in long traffic jams in Hyderabad. Hundreds of vehicles were stranded in busy areas like Kukatpally, Panjagutta, Malakpet and LB Nagar.
Over 80,000 students are writing EAMCET in Hyderabad alone. The Andhra Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (APSRTC) is running special buses for the candidates.
At one exam centre in Kukatpally, parents staged a protest when officials allowed a legislator inside the centre. J Prabhakar, a member of the legislative council and a YSR Congress leader, had come there with his son, who was writing the exam.
EAMCET and police officials said they were keeping a close watch on certain suspicious candidates identified by them.
Ramana Rao said they were monitoring the movements of senior students born in 1980s, those who had written the test on many occasions in the past and those who paid a hefty late fee of Rs.5,000 to Rs 10,000 as against normal fee of Rs 250.
As part of the large-scale arrangements, police deployed even bomb disposal squads at the exam centres while all candidates, including girls, were frisked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations