Lawyers block Chiranjeevi`s convoy on Telangana issue
Rajahmundry: Union Tourism Minister K Chiranjeevi`s convoy was on Sunday blocked by pro-united Andhra lawyers in east Godavari district over creation of Telangana.
The Seemandhra Lawyers Joint Action Committee led by M Subba Rao tried to obstruct the minister`s convoy at Kambala Chervu and later at Lalitha Nagar, before they were evicted from the spot by police.
Chirajeevi, state ministers and MLAs in his motorcade were greeted with slogans by the lawyers in favour of united Andhra Pradesh, when they reached Kadiyam.
The actor-turned-politician was here to unveil the statue of?famous film star S V Ranga Rao.
In a function, the minister inaugurated Rs 53 crore Mega Tourism Circuit which is funded by the Centre.
The circuit comprises developing infrastructure facilities at tourism spots in east and west Godavari districts.
He also inaugurated Konaseema-Paipkondalu-Bhadrachalam Mega Tourism Circuit works at famous Kotipalli Temple in east Godavari district.
"So far, tourism has not been given the due importance it deserves. Konaseema, which is equivalent to Kerala and Goa as a scenic tourism spot, will gain prominence worldwide," the minister said, adding that the development of tourism would also generate job opportunities for local youths.
"Old Godavari Bridge or the Havelock bridge which was commissioned in 1900 on Godavari river, and served trains playing between Howrah and Chennai, will be purchased and developed as tourism spot with Private Public Partnership (PPP)," Chiranjeevi said.
Later, he released documentary book on `Konaseema` and a CD on Hopeland Islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi