Left parties in AP may intensify stir over power tariff hike
Hyderabad: Members of Left parties in Andhra Pradesh, who began an indefinite fast against the power tariff hike, today warned of intensifying their stir if the state government failed to "respond positively".
CPI state secretary K Narayana and his CPI(M) counterpart B V Raghavulu, who started the indefinite fast yesterday, demanded that the government immediately roll back its move to hike power tariff and stop collecting the fuel surcharge adjustment.
They said that the Congress government should not be stubborn in its response to the demand to relieve the burden imposed on common men.
The Left parties also organised rallies and sit-ins at several places in the state today over the power tariff hike.
The main opposition Telugu Desam and other parties also expressed their solidarity with the indefinite fast by the Left parties.
The CPI(M) state secretary suggested that other opposition parties should co-ordinate with the Left parties to protest against the power issue if the Congress government failed to respond in another two days.
The Congress government in AP survived a recent no-confidence motion on the floor of the assembly only because opposition parties were not united, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know