Liquor mafia: Chandrababu stages dharna
Vizianagaram: Telugu Desam Party president and Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu on Monday staged a dharna in front of the District Collectorate here seeking crackdown on the liquor mafia even as the ruling Congress workers and the police tried to prevent him.
Vizianagaram being the home district of AP Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana, Congress workers were bent on staging a counter dharna and gathered in large number even as police imposed prohibitory orders to avert a possible law and order breakdown and denied permission to both parties for their agitation programmes.
Chandrababu Naidu reached Vizianagaram by road from Visakhapatnam, ignoring the prohibitory orders. He went to the district TDP office and from there started off in a procession towards the Collectorate but was blocked near the District Police Office and prevented from proceeding further for over two hours.
Congress workers, led by state Registrations and Stamps Minister Thota Narasimham and a couple of local MLAs, sat on a protest near the Collectorate deploring the TDP`s show.
Chandrababu staged a sit-in outside the DPO condemning the police "over-action" even as the TDP workers were pushed away by police personnel on duty. TDP politburo member and former minister P Ashoka Gajapati Raju collapsed in the melee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA