Liquor mafia: Chandrababu stages dharna
Vizianagaram: Telugu Desam Party president and Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu on Monday staged a dharna in front of the District Collectorate here seeking crackdown on the liquor mafia even as the ruling Congress workers and the police tried to prevent him.
Vizianagaram being the home district of AP Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana, Congress workers were bent on staging a counter dharna and gathered in large number even as police imposed prohibitory orders to avert a possible law and order breakdown and denied permission to both parties for their agitation programmes.
Chandrababu Naidu reached Vizianagaram by road from Visakhapatnam, ignoring the prohibitory orders. He went to the district TDP office and from there started off in a procession towards the Collectorate but was blocked near the District Police Office and prevented from proceeding further for over two hours.
Congress workers, led by state Registrations and Stamps Minister Thota Narasimham and a couple of local MLAs, sat on a protest near the Collectorate deploring the TDP`s show.
Chandrababu staged a sit-in outside the DPO condemning the police "over-action" even as the TDP workers were pushed away by police personnel on duty. TDP politburo member and former minister P Ashoka Gajapati Raju collapsed in the melee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves