Liquor mafia: Chandrababu stages dharna
Vizianagaram: Telugu Desam Party president and Leader of Opposition N Chandrababu Naidu on Monday staged a dharna in front of the District Collectorate here seeking crackdown on the liquor mafia even as the ruling Congress workers and the police tried to prevent him.
Vizianagaram being the home district of AP Congress Committee president Botsa Satyanarayana, Congress workers were bent on staging a counter dharna and gathered in large number even as police imposed prohibitory orders to avert a possible law and order breakdown and denied permission to both parties for their agitation programmes.
Chandrababu Naidu reached Vizianagaram by road from Visakhapatnam, ignoring the prohibitory orders. He went to the district TDP office and from there started off in a procession towards the Collectorate but was blocked near the District Police Office and prevented from proceeding further for over two hours.
Congress workers, led by state Registrations and Stamps Minister Thota Narasimham and a couple of local MLAs, sat on a protest near the Collectorate deploring the TDP`s show.
Chandrababu staged a sit-in outside the DPO condemning the police "over-action" even as the TDP workers were pushed away by police personnel on duty. TDP politburo member and former minister P Ashoka Gajapati Raju collapsed in the melee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth