Liquor mafia nexus: 7 AP cops booked for graft
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Anti-Corruption
Bureau (ACB) today arrested seven police officials on charges
of receiving illegal gratifications in lieu of official favour
to liquor mafia, a senior agency official said.
The arrests were made as part of the ACB`s ongoing
crackdown to expose liquor syndicate-politicians-officials
ACB officials who have been conducting raids and
searches across the state since December last year have so far
registered 25 criminal cases against members of the liquor
mafia and also government officials besides arresting liquor
traders and even Excise officials.
In the latest search of places and after gathering
reports and data, the ACB sleuths apprehended seven police
officials, including two Officers on Special Duty (OSD), one
Deputy Superintendent of Police and four Circle Inspectors on
charges of receiving bribes from liquor syndicates as a quid
pro quo for allowing various violations, the ACB official
Kothagudem OSD (Khammam district) Ram Prasad, Adilabad
OSD B Uma Maheshwar, Deputy SP Veereshwar Rao, CIs Ranadheer
and Vijaya Sarathi in Warangal district, V Sreedhar Rao in
Adilabad Rural and B Gunashekar Babu in Kurnool town have been
arrested and are being produced before the Special Judge for
ACB cases here for judicial custody.
The arrested accused have been booked under various
sections of the Indian Penal Code for collecting bribes
(Mamools) from liquor syndicates to overlook the violation of
the Andhra Pradesh Excise Act and Rules by the wine shops.
The violations comprise sale of liquor over and above
MRP, loose sale of liquor and opening of liquor shops beyond
the prescribed timings, operation of belt shops, sale of Non
duty paid liquor among others and thereby making illegal
profits while causing loss to the state exchequer.
The ACB in the last week of February had arrested four
officials of Excise Department on charges of processing files
and playing an active role in handing over the control of
business of 16 shops to the liquor syndicate led by Nunna
Venkata Ramana, who is already under judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?