Locals attack 11 arrested Sri Lankan fishermen
Rajahmundry: Eleven Sri Lankan fishermen, who were arrested four days ago by the Indian Coast Guard for illegally entering Indian waters, were attacked by locals following rumours of their alleged involvement in attacking villagers.
Three of these fishermen were seriously injured after the incident occurred at Dummulapeta area of East Godavari district last night, the police said.
The three fishermen had to be rushed to the Kakinada government hospital, while the other eight received minor injuries in the attack, the police said.
The eleven Lankan fishermen were arrested by the Indian Coast Guard and handed over them to Kakinada Marine Police. The arrested fishermen were kept in a house in Dummulapeta area with two constables on guard, the police said.
Due to a power failure late last night, the fishermen came out of the house for fresh air when some local people attacked them, resulting in serious injuries to three fishermen and minor injuries to eight, the police said.
Meanwhile, another batch of 14 Sri Lankan fishermen who were arrested recently in Kakinada by the India Coast Guard have been shifted to Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert