Locals attack 11 arrested Sri Lankan fishermen
Rajahmundry: Eleven Sri Lankan fishermen, who were arrested four days ago by the Indian Coast Guard for illegally entering Indian waters, were attacked by locals following rumours of their alleged involvement in attacking villagers.
Three of these fishermen were seriously injured after the incident occurred at Dummulapeta area of East Godavari district last night, the police said.
The three fishermen had to be rushed to the Kakinada government hospital, while the other eight received minor injuries in the attack, the police said.
The eleven Lankan fishermen were arrested by the Indian Coast Guard and handed over them to Kakinada Marine Police. The arrested fishermen were kept in a house in Dummulapeta area with two constables on guard, the police said.
Due to a power failure late last night, the fishermen came out of the house for fresh air when some local people attacked them, resulting in serious injuries to three fishermen and minor injuries to eight, the police said.
Meanwhile, another batch of 14 Sri Lankan fishermen who were arrested recently in Kakinada by the India Coast Guard have been shifted to Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload