Locals attack 11 arrested Sri Lankan fishermen
Rajahmundry: Eleven Sri Lankan fishermen, who were arrested four days ago by the Indian Coast Guard for illegally entering Indian waters, were attacked by locals following rumours of their alleged involvement in attacking villagers.
Three of these fishermen were seriously injured after the incident occurred at Dummulapeta area of East Godavari district last night, the police said.
The three fishermen had to be rushed to the Kakinada government hospital, while the other eight received minor injuries in the attack, the police said.
The eleven Lankan fishermen were arrested by the Indian Coast Guard and handed over them to Kakinada Marine Police. The arrested fishermen were kept in a house in Dummulapeta area with two constables on guard, the police said.
Due to a power failure late last night, the fishermen came out of the house for fresh air when some local people attacked them, resulting in serious injuries to three fishermen and minor injuries to eight, the police said.
Meanwhile, another batch of 14 Sri Lankan fishermen who were arrested recently in Kakinada by the India Coast Guard have been shifted to Hyderabad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued